Sometimes when I'm trimming the yard, my mind spins as fast as the weed eater string.
If the mixture is off, problems are obvious.
Not enough air makes the fuel too rich, and the engine bogs down.
Too much air makes the mix too lean, and the engine revs.
It's even worse when the fuel gets low, and air bubbles are present. The engine revs beyond the limit.
The only reason it doesn't destroy itself is the presence and remnants of the oil in the fuel.
My mind also spins. With the correct inputs, the human mind is capable of much.
I thrive on experiences, learning, being with other people, and the creative process.
At some point, age wins. The inputs get out of balance. Could be normal aging issues like memory loss, or physical limits.
I can accept that my mind races, and sometimes operates on the edge of normal limits. I have to accept that we are finite beings, here, then gone.
The urgency to live now is ever-present. There is much to do.
As much as I enjoy a Sunday afternoon nap, even those are guilty pleasures. Seems like I'm wasting time.
This blog provides a place for some of the ideas and energy to go. The creative process and bit of research is enjoyable. My old high school Civics / Economics teacher, Mr. McIntosh, would say there is good utility here. A safe place to leave it. I can come back and visit.
It's a good challenge to focus, start, and finish a creative process.
My hope is these articles can be found and enjoyed by others. Maybe another active, even hyper-active mind can relate, and better sort through things. There is comfort in knowing you are not alone.
Maybe they, too, will write things down, sketch a picture, leave something for later.
Faith is important to me. For me, it's like the oil that is mixed with the gas. It's Grace that we can never earn. A relationship with Jesus gives us guardrails against our own sinful nature, and hope for the future.
Life isn't fair. Bad things happen. We get pushed to the very edge of our limits, and sometimes beyond.
When our life balance is upset, it's helpful to be reminded that God is in control. Below are a few Bible verses that remind us...
In this world you will have trouble. But take heart. I have overcome the world. John 16:33
God is our refuge and strength. An ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. James 1:2-3
Every day, I try to do creative things, and have experiences with people that are dear to me.
I'm reminded to keep faith at the center. That bit of oil keeps everything working. One good way to stay present and in the moment.
Just as a two stroke engine has to shut down and cool off, maybe a Sunday nap is nothing to feel guilty about.
Things I think about while my mind spins.
It's a delicate balance.