Most days my mind races,
never asking for a break.
Lately I'm short on ideas,
A new day, another empty slate.
I try to come up with something
worth leaving in this blog.
Life's clouds that surround me are heavy.
Can't see much in this fog.
To tell or re-tell a good story,
whether it's yours or mine,
Is the only goal I have here.
Good exercise for my mind.
So I try to leave something useful,
for someone else to find.
A short interesting article,
a silly little rhyme.
I'm reminded of what farmers have done
with their fields since long ago.
Rest the land for a season.
Allow weeds and grass to grow.
Soil that never asks for a break,
left alone instead.
Fallow ground is quiet and still.
Hope of better days, ahead.
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Quiet times and reflection are still good times.
We can still honor God, love our family, and live our best life.
I'm reminded of the first part of Psalm 23. (below)
The part about being made to lie down in green pastures, being led, and the promise of God restoring our soul.
Maybe we get so busy, we have to be "made" to lie down.
There's hope! And Rest! And Restoration!
Even in difficult times.
---------
The note below was added August 31, 2026...
This offers an explanation for, "Fallow Ground."
On February 14, 2026, a month or so after writing this, our dad died.
The loss of our father happened over several years.
When he was 47 years old, on July 23, 1988, he had a stroke that affected his left side. He was never the same after that.
In the months and years since then, he made limited, but remarkable improvement. He could drive, mow, walk with a quad cane, and do pretty much what he wanted to do.
Nine years ago due to circumstances beyond his control, he lost his independence again.
He was confined to a hospital bed. He never walked or used his quad cane again.
Looking back, Dad's final decline in the months prior to February was the Fallow Ground I tried to describe.
In a real, day to day way, he lived out Psalm 23.
The ultimate restoration happened for him February 14. His better days are now, and forever. Christians have the promise of forever in Heaven.
This quick look back explains some things.
It helps me begin to understand something of grief. It's not a 72 hour thing. In our case it began 38 years ago, and continues.
Goodness, Mercy, and better days are truly ahead.