Red Belly Whistlers

July 2, 2026.  A Thursday.  We were busy, because the July 4th holiday meant we would be closed a half day Friday, and all day Saturday.    

It was hot, mid 90s with the heat index over 100. 

About lunchtime, one of the guys came in the office back here and said, "You gotta come see this."   My first thought was, what did we tear up?  Most of the time, when one person asks another to go see something here, it's not good news. 

A pair of ducks, and their babies were in the warehouse.  They must have came across the hot pavemant, right up the steps, and inside. 


Our visitors were walking around, like they were taking a tour of the place.  One guy here does a fair amount of duck hunting, and he identified them as, Red Belly Whistlers.

We counted sixteen babies, and two adults.  They stayed together as they looked around.


We tried to lead, then "Shoo" them back towards the door.  That was a mistake.  The little ones scattered.  The adults got outside and most of the littles followed.  One went into another area and got under some pallets. I followed.  I could hear him hollerring for his parents, followed the sound to the back wall where it was the loudest.  I saw him, stuck in a spot for a moment.  I scooped him up, and walked him towards the door where the rest had gone.  They were already out of sight, and back across the parking lot toward the truck shed.  The adults flew up and over the building. We put the stragglers in the truck shed, and they all got back together.  

They were gone as quickly as they arrived.

I got on the computer and looked up Red Belly Whistlers.  This is what I found...

There is no color difference between males and females. 

The mating adults stay together for many years. 

They have nine to 18 ducklings.

Ducklings are born with a powerful instinct called, "imprinting."  Meaning, they follow the first safe, moving figure they see after hatching.

Owls and hawks are the main concern as predators. 

Once the ducks were back outside, the commotion and excitement ended.  
Back to our routine.  


Around four thirty a customer that usually comes in that time of day said, " Did y'all hear tires skidding and all that horn honking a minute ago?"  

" No.  Did somebody wreck under the red light again?"

"No.  I was trying to turn in here, and about fifty ducks tried to cross the road.  I stopped sideways to hold up the traffic.  Cars on both sides were laying on the horn and sliding to a stop."

So the duck family was trying to move on, wherever they were going.  

Sure hope they made it.