The Next 90 Days


Can ninety days make a difference?  

Think back through the last ninety days.  Did you do anything worth talking about?  Did you check off a bucket list item, or start a new hobby?  Maybe you returned to a old hobby, after spending months or years working, eating, and sleeping. Continuing to enjoy something interesting, or reconnecting with an old friend is surely noteworthy!  

Still nothing?  Don't worry!  Just breathe, relax, and begin thinking about the next ninety days.  

What do you daydream about?  Is there something you used to enjoy but being responsible pushed it aside?  Is there someone in your life or in your circle of friends that needs you and your time? Is there a charitable cause tugging at your heart that you can get excited about, and volunteer your time and energy?  

Maybe you will continue this commitment past ninety days.  Or, maybe an unseen door will open an you can boldly step through to a new adventure! 

My experience is that big stuff starts with small stuff. 

On January 1, 2021, like a lot of people, I had some goals for the new year.  One was to read and use my bluetooth truck radio and smart phone to get through the bible by December 31.  



Also, I'm a bit of a spreadsheet nerd.  So I made a tracking form in Google Sheets to track and document my progress.

I calculated how many chapters a day I'd have to read or listen to, and the process began.  The morning commute is 20 minutes. The after work drive is longer, because of responsibilities my sisters and I have.  (We assist our aging parents with their daily needs.) So I have about an hour a day in the truck to make this happen.  First thing every morning at work, I  updated my spreadsheet and tracked my progress.

There were difficult days that I just got in a chapter of two.  Other days twenty or more.  My year end goal turned into Father's Day, then, maybe by the end of March.  The result was, I averaged just over thirteen chapters a day, finished on March 29, and didn't miss a day in 89 days.   

(It was a nice bonus that March 29 is Melanie's birthday.  Melanie is the oldest of us three Stone kids.  Sheri and I are lucky to have her for a big sister!)  

The website for Bible Gateway is: 

https://www.biblegateway.com/

There are a couple of things you can count on.  You won't have enough time, or energy a lot of days.  Also, if your plan is to improve your relationship with God, by reading and listening to the bible, know that Satan is going to double down on you.  You are in for a tug of war with sin and temptation.  I'm thankful that God promises us that we will not be temped beyond what we can bear! 

13 No temptation[a] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted[b] beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,[c] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.  1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV 

I plan to start again in a couple of weeks, and journal about the chapters and verses.  I'm sure if I take my time, I will get even more out of it.    

What about you?  Create something special in your next three months.  Your mental, physical, relational and emotional health will be improved! 


 
As long as we have breath, and the freedom to make our own choices, we are responsible for our future.  

The next ninety days can make a difference!