Learning to enjoy work - College days - First Jobs 4 of 5

First Jobs 4.0 - Learning to enjoy work 

In the spring of 1985, on the financial aid bulletin board at Motlow, there was a notice...Free summer school at UTM.  I was all set to go there in the fall, so a few days after graduating from Motlow, I left for UTM.  Me being the youngest of three, and the only one still at home, my mom was not happy about this.       


With the old truck backed up to the front door, I threw a bunch of clothes in the back under a mis-matched camper top.  The drive took a little over four hours.  I remember being really excited and really sad at the same time.  My dorm room for the summer was Austin Peay D243R.  My roommate was a fellow named Gary Hughes.  Once I got unpacked and registered for classes, I started looking around for a job. It had to agree with my class schedule, and not get in the way of making decent grades.  

Hauling Hay

There was a big family owned farm called, Garrett and Sons, in Gleason.  They were in their busy time for alfalfa hay.

The drive east to Gleason was about 15 minutes.  I talked to one of the "Sons" and went to work the next day.  They had semi-trucks and flat bed trailers, and a lot of alfalfa hay.  Most of these loads were taken a few hundred miles away to big horse and cattle farms.  Sometimes we unloaded them in a local barn.  

The rest of the crew was from McKenzie, about ten minutes further down the road.   They all knew each other.  The biggest guy was nicknamed PeeWee.  Growing up, I was blessed to have lots of friends, and played a lot of sports. It wasn't the first time I was the only white guy somewhere.  It didn't bother me to be different, and it didn't seem to bother anyone else.   

We were unloading into a big barn at night, and stacking bales way up high toward the ceiling.  One of the guys saw a big wasp nest, kind of screamed, and everybody scampered down and stopped working. 

These guys were not afraid of much, but wasps must have been on their short list. They stood and stared up at it.  They didn't know that wasps on their nest at night were usually calm, and easy to walk up on.  I still had my leather gloves on, and climbed up to the top, and looked at it for a couple of seconds.  I knew all eyes were on me, and I made the most of it.  I made a fist and slowly mashed the nest against the wooden beam it was on.  Then I picked up what was left of the nest, squeezed it into a gooey ball, dropped it, and stepped on it.  Steeeeee!  OHHHH!   Yall see dat???    Steee??! You CRAZY Steee.  Hey PeeWee wouldn't do dat!  Stee crazy yall!     

From that moment on they thought I was little crazy, and a lot tougher than I really was. I tried to keep my mouth shut and not ruin their perception.    

The Garretts started baling hay about lunchtime, and we started working about 2PM, and worked into the night until it was all loaded up.  I remember the afternoon heat, and the transition to the cooler night, and the night sky and stars and how peaceful that was.  When I got back in the dorm, I'd get cleaned up, then either study, or go out to the back parking lot and play basketball.   

Selling Sundrops in the dorm


My fall dorm assignment was to Ellington Hall, 3rd floor.  Bill Lowry was my roommate.  This was during the time we both worked for the UTM police.  Bill and I both made friends easily.  The rodeo guys and baseball team also lived on the third floor.  Harold Zonder was our Resident Assistant, and the assistant baseball coach.  He was a great guy.  Bill and I fished a lot.  If we took Harold some deep fried fish, we never got in trouble for cooking in the room.  Billy Schwabb and Neal Hardin were rodeo guys and became good friends too.  The rodeo guys were tough.     

Prescott Bottling still has a small plant on North Atlantic Street.  People in and around Tullahoma are basically addicted to Sundrop.  In earlier days the bottling process used cane sugar which costs a little more, and gave the drink its unique flavor and kick.  There were a lot of Tullahoma people at UT Martin, and several in my dorm.  I started bringing 12 packs back with me to sell.  

I'd get them from my dad on sale, twenty or thirty cases in the back of my truck, and double my investment.  $4 in the dorm was a good price.  Capitalism was king and everybody was happy.  Some of the Tullahoma/ Manchester  guys in the Ellington dorm were, Stan Welch, Darrell Stidham, Ronnie McNeese, Charles Parish, and me and my room mate Bill Lowry.  It didn't take long till the other guys had to have Sundrop too.     

S&L Chimney Sweeps

S & L (Stone and Lowry) Chimney Sweeps,  Bill was my room mate, and to this day is still one of my best friends! He and I had to make some money to pay our way through college.  I had known Bill since we were kids.  His family owned and ran Tullahoma Hardware.  My family owned and ran a grocery store, The Minit Saver.  We also went to school together, and played a lot of baseball.   

Bill can fix just about anything, and is really good with his hands.  I can talk to just about anybody, and like to create things, specifically, income.  Bill and I decided we would bring some chimney cleaning equipment from his house, and see what happened.  We ordered some business cards, then drove four hours to Manchester, got the equipment, and drove back to Martin.  

One of the first jobs we got was for a fellow that worked at WCMT, the local radio station.  He wanted to pay us in radio ads.  We really needed cash, but we agreed. That bit of advertising helped us get started.  Our business picked up, and for two years, we cleaned a lot of chimneys.  This was way before cell phones, and we operated by using the land line in our dorm room, and an old answering machine.    

Bill was the outside guy, and I was the inside guy.  We unloaded the ladder and cleaning brushes and ropes.  Bill went up on the roof while I knocked on the door and let the people know we were there.  I took a five gallon plastic bucket, whisk broom, dust pan, roll of paper towels, and some Windex cleaner.  Sometimes the roof was was really steep or had slippery moss on it.  The taller the roof, the more we charged.  Bill had to go barefooted once on a steep wood shake roof and crawl up the valley backwards using  his hands and bare feet. Once Bill got to the chimney, he dropped one of his spring loaded cleaners down on a rope, and with a quick yank, the metal edges popped out and he pulled it back to the top.  



He repeated this several times, and the creosote that was stuck to the sides fell to the bottom.  If it was a round pipe, we had brushes and flexible rods.  We took everything apart and did it right.  Inside, I was waiting with the dust pan and bucket.  While I swept and cleaned, I talked, and listened.  Then I wiped everything down with some good strong smelling Windex and paper towels.  By the time we got paid, Bill was loaded back up and waiting on me in the truck.  We tried to get an appointment first thing in the morning, and before that person paid us, offer them a $5 discount if they could line us up another job.  Most were really happy with us, and they would get on the phone and call their neighbor or sister.  

We repeated that all day.  It was not unusual to clean ten or twelve chimneys a day. In our busiest times, we split into two teams, and paid our friends to help us. 

   

Strange things...We got a dried out wood duck out of an old fireplace damper.  And there was one really big fireplace I was standing up in and reaching back and cleaning out the damper with my hands, and the little lady said...We got a big chicken snake out of there last year.  All righty! That one looks clean enough to me!

RD Gulf

RD Gulf was a full service gas station in downtown Martin, It had two service bays, and a island with two self serve and one full service premium pump.  My buddy Jeff Parmley worked there, and he was about to graduate.  They told him to find and train his replacement.  Jeff had the best sense of humor, and a great laugh.  

That was a fun job, because once the daily work was done, I could pull my truck inside and put it up on the service rack, and still watch the full service pump.  There was no mechanic work going on at that time of day, just cleaning, and piddling as we called it.  I thought about my buddy Keith Hasty back in Tullahoma.  He and his father, Jimmy, ran Anderson Street Amoco for many years.  They knew what they were doing, and a lot of us trusted them with our cars.  Keith is still in that same building doing his Kustom Window Tinting business.  

RD Gulf was one of the most care-free fun jobs I've ever had.  For several months there, I could open the hood on anything, check the oil, replace windshield wipers, and check tire pressure.  Correct tire pressure is still one of the small things in life that makes me happy.        

UTM Police

Also called Safety and Security, and Campus Police.  The UTM Police was the law enforcement on campus.  Bill and I both worked there for awhile.  This was one of those jobs that was more a necessity than a passion.  But, I learned so much from the sergeants, and the other people there.  During training, they pushed us to our point of frustration / breaking point, to see how much crap we would take.  Then they eased us back down from that adrenaline rush, and helped us recognize where the line was.  Part of our training was, we had to fight each other, to show we could handle ourselves, and not allow someone to take our weapon.  I'm not sure the administrators knew about the intensity and extent of our training.  The sergeants prepared us to do our job and be counted on when we were needed. I'm thankful they pushed us.  Then we had to pass the shooting range test with our weapon.  Once we were trained, we mostly walked around and locked up buildings every night.  That was the 8PM to 2AM shift.  the hours were perfect for a college student.  On rare holidays, we got a car shift.  We got 24 or 30 hours a week.  For ballgames, and big events, we stood in the middle of roads at crosswalks with a flashlight and a whistle, and stopped cars for the walkers.  I always enjoyed that. Bill and I knew every back door and short cut into every building.

When locking the buildings, we had to radio in to the dispatcher...10-6 into a building, and 10-8 out of that building.  We were allotted a generous amount of time for each building, and the walking to the next one.  I found out that it didn't take me that long, and I did it the right way.  So I'd write down the times that I should be in and out, and just keep walking, and working.  There were certain doors that were supposed to be locked, and all the lights were supposed to be off.  We had to know where all the safes were, and enter those offices, and rattle the handle on the safe.  If it was open or unlocked, we had to call the Sergeant, and together inventory the contents, and file a report before closing it and locking it.    

So, I'd get ahead, then take a break and keep calling in 10-6, 10-8, till the times matched back up.  One of my favorite places to take a break was Coach Ray Mear's office.  

He was the Athletic Director at UTM.  Before the UTM days, he was the men's basketball coach at UT Knoxville, for 16 years.  His teams won 278 times and lost 112.  Coach Mears' teams won 71% of the time.  His office was a like a SEC basketball museum.  There was a big leather couch in there.  I'd sit there, and just look around like a child, for a few minutes, mesmerized by all the interesting things.  I never touched anything, and had great respect for Coach Mears.  But I doubt he would have been real happy if he had known someone was sitting in his office, at 1AM.

The second shift custodians were working at the same time.  We got to know each other, and I always looked forward to talking to them.  Bill, the guy that cleaned up the PECC or Physical Education Complex was super nice.  These men and women were hard working people that did a great job.  The only other people I saw inside buildings, were students practicing their band instruments in the little practice rooms, or professors staying late to finish their work.  

There was one professor in the engineering school that slept in his office when he didn't want to drive home.  The sergeants made sure we knew that he drove a station wagon, who he was, and where he might be.  Outside, there might be a few students out for a walk, or returning from a party somewhere.  I never had any problems with them.  I understood what it meant to be antsy, and in need of a late night stroll.  I mostly remember the warm beautiful nights, and the cold rainy nights.  During a six hour shift we walked six or seven miles.                    

Less than a year after I started at Safety and Security, they put up a sign up sheet for bullet proof vests.  

Everybody was supposed to get one.  I told the sergeant that I didn't need one.  I was a business major, not a criminal justice major.  He said he understood. And I turned in my notice.        

I met some awesome people there.  William "Bugg" Edwards, and Vester Jones were there when I started.  They always found ways to laugh and not let things get too serious.  Bill and I put a three speed floor shifter in Bugg's old 65? Ford truck while we were up there.  You have to trust a person to allow them to cut a big hole in your floorboard.  Bugg is still teaching and coaching in Memphis.  Vester went on to the Tennessee Highway Partol, and the court system.  He is retired now.  These guys are special, and they made being in Martin a lot of fun.  They are both good family men.  I still enjoy talking to them and catching up.        

Ray Coleman and Bobby Rogers were the sergeants.  They were both no-nonsense, and tough guys.  Lt. Simmons, Captain Bob Johnson, Asst. Director Steve Jahr, and Director Ted Council oversaw everything.  Greg Walker, also from Manchester worked there.  two married couples, Steve and MaryBeth, and Jeff and Candy worked there.  Michael Prowell was a part time guy like me.  We were the last of the student part time officers.  They went to full time only after we left.    

The very best thing to come out of the UTM job experience is meeting Terri Jolley, one of the student dispatchers.  They worked 4 to midnight, and midnight to 8.  So she worked a lot of the same shifts I did. She was the voice on the other end of the radio.  We have been married 32 years and have three grown kids.  We tell people we met at the police station.

Typing research papers

Another thing I did at Martin was type research papers.  I charged $2 a page, and only did this for upper classmen. My Brother work processor memorized a few lines. 

So if I took my time, and proof read it as I went along, it was easy to correct any mistakes.  Most of these papers were handed to me the night before they were due.  I proof read them and typed them up.  People knew they could count on me.     

UARCO

With the bullet proof vest and the UTM campus police job behind me, I went looking for another job.  This would be the last job I had during my time at Martin.  I signed up with Hamilton Ryker, a temporary employment service ran by an older fraternity brother, Crawford Gallimore.  The job they sent me to was at a big printing company in Fulton, Kentucky, called UARCO.  They had been printing the Columbia record deal for years.  They only stopped to update the details.   

It was a second shift job, 4PM to midnight.  The hours were good for a college student.  I was glad to get the work, and the pay.  It was a really clean place.  The inks, paper,  and the printing process had a unique sweet kind of smell.  

My first night there, they had me drag one empty pallet over to a row of full pallets.  Then I had to pick up the boxes, turn them over, and restack them, using the same pattern.  Then the next pallet, and the next.  For some reason, full boxes were coming off the line upside down.  I didn't mind it, and each night got done all they asked me to do. One day as I got there, someone said the plant manager wanted to see me.  Oh no, I thought, what have I done, I'm about to get fired. The plant manager was a lady about 5 feet tall, and stocky. She sat behind a big desk.  I knocked on the frame of her open door, and she said come on in.  She smiled big and stood up and stuck her hand out to shake mine.  She told me to sit down, then she said, I had to meet the Son of a bitch that did all that work in here the last few days!  So I didn't get fired. Now I thought for a moment I might get a raise, but that didn't happen either.  We talked for a few minutes, about work and other things.  It was nice to meet her and be able to consider her a friend.    

For the next couple of months, I worked there as needed.  Then winter quarter was over, and all my classes were completed.  I went back home to Tullahoma.  

My now pretty serious girlfriend, Terri, was staying there to finish up a second degree.  And my buddy Bill was still at UTM, and dating a girl from Martin, Susie Shore.  They got married, and have been married almost as long as Terri and I.  They have three children too, and they still live in Martin.  Susie followed her father's career path, and serves the people in the Martin community as a medical doctor.  Susan Lowry, MD, and Bill also have some rental property, and Bill can still fix just about anything.