Opening Day

September 1 is a special day.  Its the opening day of dove season in Tennessee. 


 

As a elementary school kid, in the early 1970's, I remember wearing my camo t shirt and  old tennis shoes, and riding the bus to school.  I knew my dad would check me out about 10 AM.  He would show up in the old truck, loaded up with a cooler full of food:  cans of vienna sausages and saltine crackers, cold soft drinks, honey buns, and maybe some home made cookies.  He had our guns, and plenty of shotgun shells.  He had a Remington Sportsman model 48, 20 guage.  I had a single shot 28 guage.  Later, I had a Charles Daly 20 guage over and under.

When the message came from the office, my teacher at Hickerson Station would call my name, and send me down there to get checked out of school.  There was my dad.  Cowboy hat, plaid shirt with the sleeves cut out. blue jeans, cowboy boots, and a big smile.  

We went back to his grocery store, the Minit Saver, where we would wait for the others to show up.  Dad either knew where to go, or was willing to lead the group out to find a place.  

The Anderson farm in Manchester always had a big hunt.  The Fire Tower field at AEDC had some good hunts.  And there were always places out in Franklin County on Mingo Road or Bean's Creek.  

About 11AM, we would leave the store in a parade of cars and trucks.  If my dad didn't have a good place to go, he would grab a few packs of country ham from the cooler and put them in a paper sack.  I've seen him knock on a farm house door. Introduce himself, and ask a few questions.  Then he would offer the family some country ham to hunt in one of their harvested corn or millet fields.  Next thing you know, the farmer would be out on the front porch, smiling, talking, and pointing.  Park over here, don't mind the cows, use that gate, don't climb my fences.  And we were in.

Once noon finally arrived, the pop pop pop of shotguns began.  Shouts of... In the middle!  Over the pond!  Over the road! Bird!        

We sat together for most of my youngest years, and he would let me shoot first.  As the spent shells fell to the ground, I'd pick them up and smell the burnt powder.  It smells a little like a fire cracker, but sweeter.  There is no other smell like that.


It was quite the social event.  Both of my grandfathers were there, and several cousins.  There were old family friends and friends of friends that we just met.

My Grandaddy Stone was a really good shot.  He would knock down doubles, and before picking them up he'd say, I believe I tore that first one up, should have led him a little more.  My Papa Williams had a double barrel 12 guage, and he was a good shot too.  I mainly remember his shoulder being bruised up. Two of my older cousins, Phil Jones, and Mike Bauer both shot 16 guages.  Cousins Sonny and Mike Williams went several times.  Family friends Lloyd Coop, Richard Huddleston, BJ Yates, Monte Stewart, and his son Kevin were always there.  Kevin is two years older than me, and was always good at hunting and was a really good baseball player.   

Monte walked alot, and didn't sit in one place very long.  I remember My dad slipped a rock into the bottom of his 5 gallon bucket.  We all went out into the field for the day.  Monte took off with it.  By the end of the day, here comes Monte. It was hot and we were all tired.  Monte found the rock as he unpacked at the truck and laughed and knew my dad probably did it.       

As the day wore on, the guys that were good shots eased back to the trucks with their limit.  They waited in the shade and talked while the rest of us stayed out in the field till we were called in, or until about dark.      

The aggravating and stories continued till we all loaded up and left.   

Tomorrow is September 1, 2020.   This year Will is 18, and it's just the two of us going hunting.  We found a promising field on the TWRA website in Petersburg, about an hour away.  Its sixty five acres of chopped down millet, top sown with wheat.  The satellite picture shows a hay barn and a pond.  There will be a cooler with drinks, and little cans of viennas and crackers.  I mostly look forward to the ride over there and back, talking and just being together.  It should be a special day!