22 Jeff Taylor Stories - an Introduction




These Jeff stories started December 12, 2016, with memories that made me smile.  A couple of words, or a one liner, on this index card. 
 (Still have the card)  I kept it in my shirt pocket for several months.   These were just things that I didn't want to forget.  There was no big plan to fill in all the details.  I imagined at some point I would write a letter or visit with Stacy, and Mr. Billy and Mrs. Mary.  I hoped that somewhere down the road, these stories that made me smile might help somebody else smile too.  Most have something to do with bike riding, because that's what we did.  Some of the stories are funny, some are serious.  After writing the first one, "Little Dribblers" I told Stace about it. She read it and liked it.  Her encouragement was all I needed.   For the next three months, I wrote when I had the chance.  As it goes with memories, one leads to another.  When I finished the last one, I counted them...22.  Team Taylor#22!  

       
Most of these tales have four main people.  Jason Redd, Brad Sanders, Jeff, and me.  The four of us had a lot in common.  We aggravated each other, watched out for each other, and used peer pressure to guilt each other into showing up for the morning bike rides.

The stories were written in the order that was easiest to write.  "Little Dribblers", and "Coach Taylor" were early ones.  Scroll down to find these. That's a great place to start.  "My Story for His Glory" is the last one written.  It is also the most important one.  If you don't make it through any of the others, take the time to follow the link, and watch and listen to the video.  The message of encouragement and hope in Jeff's voice and Jeff's words will be a blessing to you.  Prepare to be coached up!       

The tough part of all this is we are still here.  We have the blessing and responsibility of living our lives to the fullest.  I am thankful for this time and opportunity to remember and smile.  It helps keep me centered.   

Others have written wonderful tributes to Jeff!   John Dennie Crabtree III wrote from a players perspective, the link is     http://crabtreeiii.com/coach-taylor-who-floats/?fbclid=IwAR34BzopqbhA5muB4uBA57TW0Fc8Pel_ri3exg5brcarB7fZ3C0GWdxWp6U
Its a great read, and you will be blessed if you take a few minutes and follow that link.  I have read and re-read it several times.  If you knew Coach Taylor, JD's first hand memories stir up feelings and emotions that are good to tap back into.  If you didn't know Coach Jeff Taylor, but you were ever a competitive athlete, or person for that matter, JD puts you back in a place that is special, even sacred. He relates back to intensity, sense of humor, tenacity, on and on.  Maybe there is more yet to be written.  This sharing and remembering process allows us to connect, to be strengthened, and to keep moving forward, with a smile.   
I think this is what Coach Taylor would want us to do.

-   Steve Stone