The last 12 miles...

November was an outstanding month on the bike. On November 25, Thanksgiving day, I blew past my record month (630 miles - September 2010) while out on a early ride around Tim's Ford lake. Still pedaling, I day dreamed about a new goal. I set a new goal with 5 days left, to finish with 700 miles.

Arriving back home, I noticed my back wheel had a wobble. Loose spoke? No, worse, a broken spoke. I don't recall hitting anything. Maybe it broke when I crossed the rumble strip several times to avoid cars. I called Brian Schaeffer, and he said to bring it over. Now it was Thanksgiving day, and he was willing to fix it if possible. He is that kind of guy. I try to not take advantage of friends like that. He is great mechanic, and a true friend. Long story short, the bike couldn't be fixed, and will have to go to the shop, Woody's Bicycles, in Sewanee, TN.  

Brian has taken hundreds of bikes on his car to Woody's.  Each time, bringing the bike back, repaired and ready to go again.  He is a friend to all bike riders, whether they are known or unknown for years.  Here's a great example:  There was an older gentleman. who lived on East Catron Street.  This old fellow was legally blind, and his only transportation was a bike.  The bike had a big basket on the front for his groceries, and metal fenders.  It was in bad shape, and needed some work.  I knew the old gut from around town, and talked to him when I saw him.  He used to ride to Kroger and sit out there on the patio chairs, and swings, about dark, and into the night.  I mentioned him and his bike to Brian, and Brian had seen him around too. Brian met up with him, went through his bike, and made it safer, more mechanically sound.  Without any fanfare, or big Thank You, Brian helped the old guy out.  Brian does that all the time.  I think it makes him happy to support the community of bike riders in any way he can. 

So Brian took my road bike to Woody's.  Ok, no problem, I'll ride the hybrid, Trek 800 for a week or so.


Robin had a holiday basketball tournament in Chapel Hill, so there would only be short rides, or nighttime rides Thanksgiving weekend. And, we took a long overdue trip to west Tennessee to see family. It was a really good trip, but only a one niter, and I didn't take a bike.

Monday morning, Jason and I rode early, and got in 27.5 miles. The hybrid was heavy, but comfortable, and I was able to keep up with Jason on his Fuji with the carbon frame. We averaged 15.7 mph, which included Magnolia the easy way. Glad I didn't slow him down.

On the last day of November, I was at 688.1 miles, and 12 miles short of my new goal. The temperature was 48 degrees and dropping. It was late afternoon. There was a steady rain, and wind blew from the northwest at 10 mph.

I had three options:
1) be satisfied with 688
2) go to Harvey's and ride the indoor bike for an hour
3) Get on the bike and ride

If I had chosen one of the first two, I wouldn't have bothered blogging about it!

I got on the bike and pointed it into the wind. With the headlight on, and red taillight blinking, I made my way down Hwy 269 toward Normandy. Left on Carr Creek Rd, up a mile long hill, down Flowertown Rd, right on 269, and back to work. 12.5 miles.

Once good and wet, the ride was really enjoyable. At first I forced myself to smile as I rode into the wind and rain. The gurus call this creative visualization. I reminded myself that this is where I wanted to be, and that I chose to do this.

A couple of dogs jumped sideways when they heard me go by. Even they were in a state of shock, and didn't offer a chase. At the bottom of the hill, on Carr Creek road, I knew I had done the right thing. Climbing that hill felt good. There was no traffic. The heavier bike was steady in the rain and wind. Returning to the office on North Atlantic Street, I tried to imagine what people in cars were saying. "Mommy can I ride my bike when we get home? He's riding HIS bike," and, "That guy is crazy," and probably, "hey, was that a bike?" Now riding through the rain, and with the wind at by back, I couldn't stop myself from smiling.

I got dried off, changed back into my work clothes, and finished the day. There was no need to tell anybody at work what I had just done. I didn't want any eye rolling, or questions.

Jerry Rice, the pro football player gets credit for this quote:
"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."
Jerry would beat defensive backs on Sunday, because of the legendary workouts he did all week long. And toward the end of his playing days, he was almost twice their age.

To me, it's about finishing well, and doing what I say I'm going to do.
The last 12 miles...were worth it.