Two Week Notice

"I'm giving you your two week notice."  

(...silence...)

If you ever heard this from your boss, you know what's next.     

Shock, aggravation, sadness, money worries...  

It happenned here at work yesterday to a good friend of mine. 

  


In some workplaces, this happens regularly.   

With AEDC, Arnold Engineering Development Complex,  in our community, firings, and lay offs are a normal thing.  As of July 2022, 2400 people worked there.  The contractors have specific jobs, and timelines.  At the end of contracts, people get fired.  Sometimes they move away and start over.  Many times, at the base, they are rehired, by the same or a new contractor.  They may have a few days or weeks off.  Some people return to the same desk, chair, or toolbox, wthout missing a beat.   

It's unusual here.  Yesterday was one of those days. 

A man was told that he is no longer needed.  His employment... over.   He was given a two week notice.  

Same thing happenned to me in December 2008, a week before Christmas.  Our kids were 15, 13, and 6, and Terri was a stay at home mom. 

We had some money saved, an emergency fund, as Dave Ramsey called it.  Not three to six months worth of expenses like he talks about, but enough that we didn't panic. Thank you Dave Ramsey, for the baby steps that you repeat daily on the radio and on your podcast.  https://www.ramseysolutions.com/dave-ramsey-7-baby-steps?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw-O6zBhASEiwAOHeGxdF8Lti3heBSep7HE-j2skXXMcNnt7jwtDCf54ldMQhkBqXKnYtDSRoCmOMQAvD_BwE

Still, I never thought it would happen to me.  After all, I fixed problems, and tried to keep things running smoothly for everybody else. I remember thinking, "I do things around here no one else can do, or wants to do.  They can't do without me."  

Turns out, they did just fine without me!   

The day I got fired, I was told I would not be working out a two week notice.  That day, was my last day.  A locksmith was on the way to change the locks.   

For the next thirty minutes or so, I got my personal things together.  The office and warehouse was quiet.  On days like that, people stay in their spot, and don't always know what to say.  

With my stuff in a box, I walked around, and gave most of it away.  I tried to smile and visit with people I likely wouldn't see again.  We had a good team.  Jessica Border, Brandon Yinger, Cheryl Harland, Derrick Hutcherson, Justin Henne, Larry and Maryann Rozell, Mark Alonso, and others. Marvin Neely, Anthony Stratton, and some other people had already left.  They fired me and Guy Christopher on the same day.   

Thanks to social media, I've been able to cheer some of these people on and follow their lives, families, and careers.  I'm thankful these friendships continue, even from a distance.    

In 2008, it was the unappreciated part that bothered me.  (and not bringing home a check to support the family) 

If a person is unappreciated, maybe it's ok to be told to leave.  It won't seem like it at the time, but they are doing you a favor.

Now you are free.  Free to go do whatever it is you wish you were doing.  Free to dream a new dream. Free to look beyond the obvious, and become more like the person you want to be. 

During the first six months of 2009, I helped coach Robin's middle school basketball team.  Terri and I took turns taking the kids to school, and waiting in the car line to pick them up.  I made some new friends, and started riding my bike again.  During that six months I got in better mental and physical shape.          

Time...passes by.  One day, the air will smell fresher.  The sun will again feel warm on your face.   Your sense of humor, and laughter will return.  Smiling happens without forcing it.  You will begin to breathe again.  Life goes on.    

My experience was sixteen years ago.  Yesterday, the feelings of chaos and uncertainty were fresh again.  

My friend already has job offers.  He will be appreciated, and better paid.    

It's a sad day.  But you have to be happy for him.  And I am.