Scott Painter

Inspired !   



Tuesday, October 24, 2023.  I was returning with the ton truck and gooseneck trailer, from a delivery in Priceville, Al.  GPS brought me back to Hwy 64 by McClure Cemetary Road, the same way I went there.  I still had to pay attention, but unloaded, and having been on this same road a few hours earlier, it was an enjoyable drive.  The road was quiet, with no traffic.  

I rounded the big curve, and noticed a man with a tripod at the edge of the cotton field.  At first glance, it looked like a camera, then I realized he was painting.           

I passed by, then parked a quarter of a mile or so up the road. 


There is a gift and a blessing in seeing unusual, and interesting things.  Often I think, "Wow, that would make a great picture!"  Lately, I have slowed down, and captured some of these moments.  

This one is from two weeks ago, out towards Pelham.  Morning Glory flowers in a fence row. (I didn't have time to stop that day either, but I did)    


From the window of the truck, I watched him paint.  He worked for thirty or so seconds, then took a couple of steps back.  

He paused, and he looked beyond his painting.  He stretched and straightened out both arms, brush still in hand, pointing towards the mountains in the distance.  There was plenty to see, sky, clouds, mountains, tree line, scruffy bushes, and rows and rows of cotton.  The breeze, warm sunshine, and cool October air had a sweet freshness about it.  

He stepped quickly back to his painting, with intention, confidence, and purpose.  He repeated this, painting, pausing, and stepping back and forth.  Each time he returned to add color, form, and depth.    

I wanted to get closer and take a picture.  As I approached, he continued, unaware that I was there.  


 

His movement reminded me of a Band Director, stepping to the podium, and accepting command of dozens of musicians and instruments.  With confidence and vision, the Director brings the parts together to create something special.  The music, pauses, and harmony we can all appreciate and enjoy.      



Still about twenty feet away, I said, "Excuse me."

He stopped and looked my way.  I told him that I expect to see interesting things as I go about my work, and what he was doing was really interesting.  Then I asked if I could take his picture.  He laughed a little and said, sure.  So I took three or four pictures with my phone.  

Then I asked him if I could send him a couple later if they looked good.  Again, he said, sure.  I didn't want to be weird, so I asked for only his first name.  He said, "Scott," and gave me his cell number.  As we both stood there looking at my phone, I added the word "Painter" behind his first name.  I said to him, "In my phone, you are Scott Painter."  We both smiled and I said thank you, and sorry to have interrupted you. But I saw something inspiring, and I wanted to capture it.  He said no problem. I walked back towards the truck, and Scott continued painting.    

I turned and took a few more pictures.  At each distance, the painting, and the landscape became more impressive. 











I am reminded of two teachers that had a big impact on me.  One, my art teacher at Manchester Central High School, Jimmy, "Grouch" Jones.  


He taught us to break complicated things into chunks.  To stay with the process, and to be inspired to do something worthwhile.

Another teacher, and friend that came to mind is Mr. John St. Clair.  He was a math instructor, and photographer.  His pictures capture the obvious, and the not so obvious.  Mr. St. Clair sees the unseen.  He sees angles, perspectives, light, shadows, and moments that other people can't see.  


When I see something worth taking a picture of, I often think about Mr. St. Clair.   This photo is Mr. and Mrs. St. Clair. 

These teachers became my friends after my school years, and continue to inspire me to be creative and do worthwhile things.     

Inspiration and distraction need each other...

We have to allow ourselves to be distracted.  

Distracted from our routine, from time, from normal.  

A good distraction can become something more.  It can introduce us to new friends, and make us smile.  A good distraction, if nurtured, can become inspiration.  

Inspiration carries us on it's wings through the ho-hum days, and weeks.  When it finally wears thin, we can only hope to get distracted again, and start all over.       

Inspired people inspire others.

Thank You, Scott- The Painter, for reminding me.


(all of the pictures were made after I asked permission)