The Guy in Tractor Supply

 Daddy, Who Was That Guy?  

In about 2008, we were in Tractor Supply in Tullahoma shopping.  

Karen was 15, Robin was 13, and Will was 6.  Terri was with us too, and we had what we needed, and were in line to check out.  

As we waited, a fellow in line in front of us turned around and looked at me.  The look was not threatening, but it was not friendly either.  It was obvious he or I one was about to say something.  He spoke first, " You don't remember me do you?"  After a short pause, I smiled and said, " I'm trying to remember your name.  You are going to have to help me out."  He had a kind of a blank, semi-angry stare. After a few seconds, he said, " You hit me with a baseball when I was 12."  I heard what he said, and I waited for him to smile and laugh and slap me on the shoulder or something.  

After an awkward couple of seconds,  I said, "You know I didn't do that on purpose."  He turned back around and didn't say anything else.  

The wild pitch that was still causing him problems was at least 30 years earlier.  I was reminded that not everyone's baseball memories are the same.  

On the way to the car,  one of the kids said, "Daddy, who was that guy?"  I said,  "I have no idea, but we must have played baseball together."