Baseball Short stories and Bloopers

Knuckle Balls from 3rd Base  



Phil Niekro made a career throwing the knuckle ball.  He won 318 games, and played for several teams.  When we got cable TV in the 1980's, The Atlanta Braves were welcomed into our homes every night. They were like family.    

High school baseball:  Larry Swann and I threw knuckle balls to each other in practice all the time.  We thought we were the next Phil Niekro.  The lack of spin caused the ball to move in unpredictable ways. Larry had a good knuckle ball and a great sense of humor.  We all played multiple positions.  Oftentimes, when Dwayne Anderson was pitching, Larry was on third base, and I played first base.  

During games, if Larry caught a hard ground ball, and knew he had plenty of time to get the runner, he would send a floating, unpredictable knuckle ball my way.  I never knew if, or when he would do this.  Expecting a hard throw from third, I'd try to be ready, with my glove straight out, giving Larry a good target.  Then, when the ball was on the way, with little or no rotation, I'd have to quickly turn my glove around and try to make a catch to get the runner.  Larry thought this was funny.  At the time it was unnerving.  As long as we got the out, it was funny to me too later.

Neat video and some science behind the knuckleball...https://www.baseballaero.com/2018/11/25/piv-on-knuckleball-pitches/


 

Thanks a lot Leon!

Church league softball was the last of the softball for me.  I was in my thirties.    

At this point, I was a fill in player for our church, Highland Baptist, when they needed a couple of people to play.  It was fun to be out there.  On this night, I was in dead left, and Leon Williams was in left-center.  Leon was a natural athlete, and one of our best players.  Up to bat for the Church of Christ was big Tim Stubblefield, a right hander, and a very serious, and a seriously big strong guy.  I was in my ready position, guarding the foul line, waiting for Big Tim to crush one.  He did.  For an instant, there was no sound, as I calculated the velocity and direction of the ball coming my way.  If my feet moved at all, it was just getting up on my toes. as I tried to decide if I should advance or retreat to make the play on Tim's line drive.  The silence was broken as I heard my team mate on my left, Leon, laughing.  He didn't say, "Back, Back, Back!,", or any useful directions or encouragement, just laughter.  The line drive sailed over my head.  I ran it down and threw it to the shortstop, while Big Tim jogged to second for a stand up double.  Leon smiled and said, "Steve, you wasn't gonna catch that ball!"  Thanks a lot Leon!


You gonna eat this candy bar?

High school baseball, my sophomore season.  We were on a bus going towards Nashville for an away game.  Bill Lowry was a junior, and Randy Armstrong was a senior.  Bill had just unwrapped a Hershey's chocolate bar. 



Randy grabbed it and asked Bill, "You gonna eat this candy bar?"  Then Randy licked the candy bar, and held it back out towards Bill.  We all watched, to see what would happen next.  Bill took it out of Randy's hand, licked the other side, and stuck it back out towards Randy, and said, "Naw, you can have it."  Randy was about twice Bill's size, and the wrestle/fight that followed was memorable.   

I asked Bill about this recently, and he said Key Adcock broke up the fight.  My memory was skippy, because I thought we were at practice, and Bill said, no, it was on the bus.  

Bill has always had a quick wit and an answer for everything.


Three home runs in one game!

We were playing Tracy City away.  They had some good hitters. And at least one really good hitter.  During our first at bat, we got a couple of runs.  With that early lead, I was able to relax, and I was pitching pretty well.  A left handed batter came up to the plate.  The second or third pitch he saw, he turned on it, as they say.  The ball sailed over the right field fence toward some kids that were already there.  He killed it.  Home run #1.  An inning or so later, same batter, same pitcher.  This time, I noticed kids leaving the bleachers.  They were going out there again.  I stayed focused.  Nope. Not this time, I remember thinking.  I can beat this guy.  I'll get the fastball by him and sit him down.  Third or fourth pitch he saw, he jacked it again beyond the right field fence.  Home run #2.  

Pretty sure I was the only one in the stadium surprised by this.  That is a pitcher's ego, and too much confidence can get you in trouble.  You have to believe you and your catcher and team mates can sit all these guys down.  While Mr. Two Homers jogged around the bases, Dwayne Anderson walked over from first base kind of smiling.  We agreed he killed it, again.  A couple of innings later, we are still ahead, and about to take the field again.  Two Homers will be coming up to bat soon.  There was a box of fried chicken legs in the dug out somebody had been eating on.  I put one in my back pocket, and didn't tell anybody.  

Sure enough, a couple of batters later, my new friend was digging in to the batters box again.  This time, I stepped off the mound for a moment and watched, with everyone else, until the kids ran from the stands, to their spot out beyond the right field fence.  Then I kicked around on the mound, and made him wait on me for a moment.  Finally, as I pitched to him, I remember thinking...Maybe if I keep it low, then mix in a curve ball or two, ...but I wouldn't be real surprised if he... Then he did.  Home run #3.  I pulled the chicken leg out of my back pocket and took a big bite.  My team mates saw me walking in circles behind the mound eating the chicken leg, and talking to myself.  Dwayne came back over to the mound.  He and I, and everybody else watched the kids chase down the home run ball.  No ego this time. If you can't be great, be funny or a little crazy.  So I tried to laugh, and make my teammates laugh, and enjoy the game as much as everyone else. I recall that we won the game, but that guy, on that day, had my number.                  


Cigars in the back seat 

American Legion Ball.  We had an away game in Columbia or Lawrenceburg.  And for reasons I also can't remember, no bus.  Coach Warren and the other coaches took us in their cars.  A few of our players had cars that they trusted to go that far, and gas, and they drove.  Coach Warren had four players in his car, including me.  He was a good coach, and a quiet, and pretty serious guy.  We all liked him.  


photo credit -  https://www.davesculbertsonfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Joe-Warren-4/#!/TributeWall

He enjoyed a good cigar.  Even with the windows down, it was a pretty strong smell during the long hot car ride.  We stopped in Chapel Hill, at a little store to get a coke and a snack before the game.  The three of us in the back seat thought it would be funny to buy some cigars, and light up the next time Coach Warren lit one up.  

Back on the road, we ate our snacks, and drank our cokes, kept talking, and waited.  Finally, Coach Warren lit his cigar.  We were ready in the back seat, and three cigars were quickly lit up, and we started puffing away.  The car filled with thick smoke.  Steady streams of it rolled out of the two open back windows.  We puffed, and snickered and laughed, and waited with great anticipation, for the big laugh from Coach Warren.  

It never happened.  He never reacted.  Not one word.  He just kept driving, looked straight ahead, and enjoyed his cigar.  After a few minutes, we threw our cigars out the window, and went back to talking to each other. 

Coach Warren had nerves of steel, and we all had a new level of respect for the man.