19,908 Days

     


A man's days are numbered...   Job 14:5

On June 13, 2020, ( Good Lord willing...) I will wake up and see the sunshine for the 20,000th time.  How many sunrises have you had??  I was working in an excel spreadsheet, and projecting out different dates.  The question popped into my head...How many days have I been alive?  As of today, March 13, 2020, the answer is 19,908 days. 

 How many more days do I have?  Glad I don't know that answer.   
    
     Have I made the most of my 19,908?  Some days, Yes, some days No.  Every day brings its own pleasures, trials, joys, and pain.  Looking back, they all fly by.  But during some days, time drags by slowly. 

     When I was little a day seemed to last forever.  As my world got bigger, the days got shorter.  One of the first places I could ride my bike, by myself, to was to my buddy, Chuck's house, about a mile away from my house.  We rode the bus together to Hickerson Station Elementary, and we were probably 7?  After a big rain, we played in his ditch out by the paved road.  It was deep, and the sides were steep.  Chuck had real Tonka toys!  


We bulldozed, and scraped our way from one end of that ditch to the other.  We made dams to hold back the flowing rain water, then  knocked them down over and over.  Somewhere in all that freedom and fun, the days started going by faster.

     Today, # 19,908, there are no tonka trucks. From before daylight to dark, today is filled with work and family responsibilities.  I'll get home between 7 and 8.  There will be a quick bite of supper, and an hour or so flipping channels on the tv.  Somewhere about 9:30, I'll tell everyone good night, and head to the back.  Today...will go by fast.   

In the time that is left on day# 19,908, I will...
Smile whether I feel like it or not  
Ask others how they are doing and listen for their answer
Ask more questions than talk about myself
Offer a compliment or two
Call my children if I'm not going to get to see them
Check on a friend that I know needs a phone call
And mostly be where I'm supposed to be, and do what I'm supposed to do.  

     Maybe Terri, Will, and I will celebrate # 19,908 with a large Turtle pecan Blizzard later tonight.  Then we can talk about our day, and look forward to the promise and gift of another sunrise.
 
This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalm 118:24