Hurts So Good! Murfreesboro Hot 100 August 21, 2010


Saturday, August 21, was an event called the Murfreesboro Hot 100 Bike ride. It was definately hot, and the ride turned out to be 102 miles. My buddy Jason and I made the pre-dawn drive to Murfreesboro, and joined about 500 other bike riders.

There were shorter routes, but we chose to do the entire 100. This was Jason's first 100 mile ride, and my third. Me being the wiley old veteran, I planned to survive the first half, and try to finish the second half in a strong, agressive way. You know, crowds of people pushing in on me as I approach the finish, me double fist pumping the air as I cross the finish line...

Well, as with most plans I make, it didn't turn out quite that way. The ride was incredibly fast starting out. Something like 17+ mph during the first 50 miles. Then I found myself hanging on through the heat and leg cramps to survive the last few miles to the finish. This wiley old veteran was glad to see the end of this ride! Jason, on the other hand, managed through the heat, and finished strong. I should have paid more attention to his strategy.

It was a huge day, and I'm glad to have been there, and done that.
Now, three days later, the muscles are still feeling the effects of the effort. I'm sore! Its a good kind of sore. Like after you pitch a complete game, and your team wins, and your arm is sore. Or maybe like after you clean out the shed or garage, and it looks great, and you finally know what is in every corner, and every container, but your back is a little sore. Being sore means you did something!

Recovery time is something that I have come to expect. I will be 45 years old in about three weeks. Rest and recovery are just a fact of life. It makes the experience all the sweeter, because now, unlike my 20's and 30's, I respect the effort, and this is a forced time to reflect on what just happened. Saturday was a really good day. I got to ride with my buddy and be there when he reached his goal of completing a century. He did it in a strong and convincing way. The cool thing about that is, he is getting stronger, and just getting started. And, at the same time, I was able to persevere through the heat and cramps to finish as well.

During the last couple of days, I ask myself. Is it worth it? Physically I mean? What drives me to push like that, and know that I'm going to hurt for a week or so? There are moments in the night that the cramps in my legs make me jump from the bed and hop all around, trying to stretch out the contracted muscles. So I make it to the kitchen, drink some more V8 Splash or orange juice, and eat another banana. Then I look at the clock, and wonder if I will get any real rest before going to work.

I think maybe I still do these rides to prove to myself that I can do something that most people can't do. It is also proving to myself that I still have the heart of a warrior, to face something, fight with it, and kick it's butt. That I can compete, finish, and win.
There are guys in our bike club that are in their 60s and 70s. What drives them? I plan to ask them that very question when I get a chance. I respect their perserverance, and the pain that they put themselves through.

Yeah, it hurts. But its a good kind of hurt. I have to smile as I get up and walk from my chair in the office, to do the simplest of tasks. Don't let it show. Stand up straight, shoulders back, walk without limping, keep smiling. I can't wait until the next long rid
e.