Gettin Healthy!


In the last 16 months, I have had some success at getting healthy. My blood pressure is down in the normal range, and my weight is reduced by 35 pounds. Its been a combination of eating better, exercising more, and I've become a calorie nerd. I know my BMR, my BMI, and I track my BP and my Wt. For the last several months, I have written down Everything I ate, and counted the calories. Also, I have tracked my exercise,and calories burned a day. Someone asked me recently what keeps me motivated. What a great question! I think of two words...Fear, and respect. Fear of getting old and slow. Fear of having a stroke or heart attack. Fear of not being able to keep up with two teenage daughters, an eight year old son, and a wife that I'm crazy about. So there, I said it. Fear motivates me. Respect means I need to maintain and improve what God gave me. What is going to help me maintain and stay healthy? My plan is to strike a better balance in several areas of my life, and have more respect. Respect for my body and what goes in it. Respect for exercise, and the challenges that push me to the limit physically. As I get older, I'm going for respect, not fear. People see a frosty at Wendys, and I see the 30 minutes of bike riding, or hour of walking that it takes me to burn up those 335 delicious calories. Gettin healthy means you look at things a little differently than most people.